Policy and Planning Division
The Policy and Planning Division, in consultation with the New Zealand Defence Force (NZDF), provides advice on defence policy matters, including:
- the strategic environment
- defence and security policies
- military capabilities required to meet defence policy goals, including the costs, relative merits, and risks associated with proposed capability options, inclluding technical analysis and advice
- the effective operation of the defence capability management system
- management of bilateral and multilateral defence relations, including deployments of the New Zealand Defence Force.
The Evaluation Division carries out assessments and audits, under s24(2)(e) of the Defence Act 1990, of any function, duty or project of the New Zealand Defence Force. The Division also conducts audits of the Ministry of Defence's activities relating to the procurement of major military capability.
The Acquisition Division acquires equipment to be operated by the three services of the New Zealand Defence Force - the Royal New Zealand Navy, the New Zealand Army, and the Royal New Zealand Air Force. Generally where the whole of life value of the project is in excess of NZ$15 million.
Finance Division provides financial services and advice, manages cash and foreign currency funds, produces Estimates and reports on all financial aspects of Ministry business.
Office of the Secretary of Defence
The Office of the Secretary of Defence supports the Secretary to make sure the Ministry is a sustainable, resilient organisation; plans effectively; is accountable as appropriate to its role as the Government’s lead civilian advisor on defence matters; and supports the Ministry’s staff to work effectively and in strong partnership with the New Zealand Defence Force and other defence and security sector agencies.