Welcome to the Ministry of Defence website
Our role is to:
- Advise the Government on the defence of New Zealand and its interests.
- Acquire military equipment.
- Assess and audit the New Zealand Defence Force functions, duties and projects.
At our website you can find information about:
- The Ministry, our management, divisions and contacts.
- New Zealand's defence policy.
- Defence acquisition projects and current tenders.
- Reports and publications relating to the Ministry and New Zealand's defence policy.
- Links to New Zealand and international defence agencies.
The Ministry works with the New Zealand Defence Force (NZDF), which is a separate organisation comprising the Royal New Zealand Navy, the New Zealand Army and the Royal New Zealand Air Force. The NZDF is responsible for:
- managing the armed forces day-to-day.
- delivering the Government's defence policy.
Visit the NZDF website for information about that organisation, including for information about medals and accessing military service personnel records.
Defence White Paper 2015
The Government has directed that a review of its defence policy be conducted over the course of 2015. The Defence White Paper 2015 will focus on the contribution of the Defence Force and Ministry of Defence towards New Zealand’s security, resilience and prosperity. It will set out New Zealand’s defence policy and how policy will be implemented to advance the nation’s national security and interests. In this regard the Defence White Paper 2015 will provide the basis for the Defence Force’s and Ministry of Defence’s strategy and planning from 2015 onward.
- View information about the Defence White Paper 2015
- View information about public consultation on the Defence White Paper 2015, which are sought between now and 22 June 2015
Defence White Paper 2010
The Government's defence policy is set out in the Defence White Paper 2010.
Last website update: 5 May 2015