P-3K Orion mission systems upgrade
This project has upgraded the mission management, sensors, communications and navigation systems for the fleet of six Air Force P-3K Orion surveillance and reconnaissance aircraft.
The scope of this project includes replacing the data management, sensor, communications and navigation systems, and providing associated ground systems.
Project budget of NZ$352 million (excl. GST) is approved.
- L-3 Communications Integrated Systems, US, signed October 2004 - prime contractor for the project.
- L-3/IS engaged the New Zealand companies:
- Safe Air Ltd - modification to aircraft 2-6 at their facility in Blenheim
- Beca Applied Technologies - sub-contractors to assist with software development.
This project is complete.
The fleet of six aircraft have been upgraded and delivered to the Royal New Zealand Air Force (RNZAF):
- NZ 4204 (prototype aircraft) - delivered April 2011
- NZ 4201 - delivered March 2012
- NZ 4205 - delivered September 2012
- NZ 4203 - delivered April 2013
- NZ 4206 - delivered February 2014
- NZ 4202 - delivered August 2014.