Welcome to the Ministry of Defence website
Our role is to:
- Advise the Government on the defence of New Zealand and its interests.
- Acquire military equipment.
- Assess and audit the New Zealand Defence Force functions, duties and projects.
At our website you can find information about:
- The Ministry, our management, divisions and contacts.
- New Zealand's defence policy.
- Defence acquisition projects and current tenders.
- Reports and publications relating to the Ministry and New Zealand's defence policy.
- Links to New Zealand and international defence agencies.
The Ministry works with the New Zealand Defence Force (NZDF), which is a separate organisation comprising the Royal New Zealand Navy, the New Zealand Army and the Royal New Zealand Air Force. The NZDF is responsible for:
- managing the armed forces day-to-day.
- delivering the Government's defence policy.
Visit the NZDF website for information about that organisation, including for information about medals and accessing military service personnel records.
Defence White Paper 2016
On 8 June 2016, the Prime Minister and the Minister of Defence released the Defence White Paper 2016 and Summary of Submissions Report. The Defence White Paper 2016 provides the foundation for New Zealand’s security now and into the future at a time of increasing instability and uncertainty in the international strategic environment.
The public’s views, from over 300 written submissions and meetings around the country, have informed the development of this White Paper, and are reflected in the Summary of Submissions Report.
New Zealanders were clear about their expectations that the Defence Force has capabilities that are up to date, interoperable with our close partners and able to respond to a range of contingencies.
The importance of modern, combat-focussed capabilities, and having the right people to operate them, was a consistent theme of the Defence White Paper public consultation process.
- View more information about the Defence White Paper 2016, including the White Paper and Summary of Submissions Report
Ministry of Defence Appoints Chief of Air Force to Senior Role
The Ministry of Defence has appointed Mike Yardley, the current Chief of Air Force, as Deputy Secretary Acquisition, heading up a new five-person Acquisition Leadership Team.
Announcing the appointment, Secretary of Defence Helene Quilter said that Air Vice-Marshal (AVM) Yardley and the new team will provide the Ministry with a strong combination of professional and technical expertise.
“They will drive the change programme we have begun in the Ministry, in partnership with the New Zealand Defence Force, to build our capacity to deliver an acquisition programme of around $11 billion over the coming decade, including replacements for the NZDF’s air transport and air surveillance fleets and the Anzac frigates,” she said.
You can read more about the appointment in this press release, issued 27 January 2016.
Last website update: 30 June 2016