Defence Policy Review: Defence Policy Review and Strategy Statement Cabinet papers and Aide Memoire
This publication provides documents pertaining to an oral update provided to Cabinet on 13 December 2022 regarding the Defence Policy and Strategy Statement (DPSS), and two subsequent papers from March and June 2023 where the DPSS was approved as the Government’s official statement of New Zealand’s Defence Policy.
[ERS-22-MIN-0062], [ERS-23-MIN-0009], [ERS-23-SUB-0009], [ERS-23-MIN-0033], [ERS-23-SUB-0033]
The pack comprises the following documents:
- Cabinet minute: Oral Item - Defence Policy and Strategy Statement: Update [ERS-22-MIN-0062]
- Aide memoire: Defence Policy and Strategy Statement
- Cabinet minute: Defence Policy Review: Defence Policy and Strategy Statement [ERS-23-MIN-0009]
- Cabinet paper: Defence Policy Review: Defence Policy and Strategy Statement [ERS-23-SUB-0009]
- Cabinet minute: Defence Policy Review: Defence Policy and Strategy Statement [ERS-23-MIN-0033]
- Cabinet paper: Defence Policy Review: Defence Policy and Strategy Statement [ERS-23-SUB-0033]
It has been necessary to withhold certain information in accordance with the following provisions of the Official Information Act 1982. Where information is withheld, the relevant sections of the Act are indicated in the body of the document. Where information has been withheld in accordance with section 9(2) of the Act, no public interest has been identified that would outweigh the reasons for withholding it.
Information is withheld where making it available would be likely to prejudice:
- the security or defence of New Zealand or the international relations of the Government of New Zealand [section 6(a)]
- information entrusted to the Government of New Zealand by the Government of another country [section 6(b)(i)]
Information is also withheld in order to:
- maintain the constitutional conventions for the timing being which protect the confidentiality of advice tendered by Ministers of the Crown and officials [section 9(2)(f)(iv)]
- maintain the effective conduct of public affairs through the free and frank expression of opinions by or between or to Ministers of the Crown or members of an organisation or officers and employees of any department or organisation in the course of their duty [section 9(2)(g)(i)]
© Crown Copyright
This copyright work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 New Zealand licence. In essence, you are free to copy, distribute and adapt the work, as long as you attribute the work to the Ministry of Defence and abide by the other licence terms.
To view a copy of this licence, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/nz/. Please note that no Ministry of Defence or New Zealand Government emblem, logo or Coat of Arms may be used in any way which infringes any provision of the Flags, Emblems, and Names Protection Act 1981 or would infringe such provision if the relevant use occurred within New Zealand. Attribution to the Ministry of Defence should be in written form and not by reproduction of any such emblem, logo or Coat of Arms.