Support to Ukraine
Personnel: Up to 95
Approximately 95 NZDF personnel will be deployed throughout Europe as part of Operation Tīeke, contributing to international efforts to assist Ukraine in its self-defence.
- 66 personnel to the United Kingdom to help train Ukraine soldiers until 31 July 2023.
- 14 NZDF intelligence analysts deployed to the UK until 30 June 2023.
- Four NZDF logistics specialists to Europe until 30 June 2023.
- Three NZDF liaison officers to Europe until 30 June 2023.
- Eight command and administration support personnel to Europe to 31 July 2023.
At no time will any of the personnel enter Ukraine.
As part of our military support to Ukraine, New Zealand has also:
Provided $7.5 million to the United Kingdom to procure weapons and ammunition for Ukraine
Contributed $4.1 million to support commercial satellite access for Ukrainian Defence Intelligence;
Contributed $10.6 million of funding to the NATO Trust Fund and TAIT Communications for non-lethal military equipment;
Supplied surplus NZDF military equipment to the Ukrainian military, including body armour plates, helmets and camouflage vests;
Activated New Zealand-based open-source intelligence capability to support 24-hour partner intelligence requirements, taking advantage of our time zone.
As at December 2022
For more information
Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade has released the following paper: New Zealand Assistance to Ukraine: Continuing Existing Mandates(external link)