New Zealand's Contribution to Peace and Stability on the Korean Peninsula
This publication provides documents surrounding Cabinet’s decision to extend the mandate for the deployment of the New Zealand Defence Force personnel to the United Nations Command and the United Nations Command Military Armistice Commission in the Republic of Korea until 30 September 2024.
The pack comprises the following documents:
- New Zealand’s Contribution to Peace and Stability on the Korean Peninsula minute of decision [ERS-23-MIN-0014]
- New Zealand’s Contribution to Peace and Stability on the Korean Peninsula Cabinet paper [ERS-23-SUB-0014]
It has been necessary to withhold certain information in accordance with the following provisions of the Official Information Act 1982. Where information is withheld, the relevant sections of the Act are indicated in the body of the document. Where information has been withheld in accordance with section 9(2) of the Act, no public interest has been identified that would outweigh the reasons for withholding it.
Information is withheld where making it available would be likely to prejudice:
- the security or defence of New Zealand or the international relations of the Government of New Zealand [section 6(a)]
- the entrusting of information to the Government of New Zealand on the basis of confidence by the Government of any other country [section 6(b)(i)] or international organisation [section 6(b)(ii)].
Information is also withheld in order to:
- maintain the constitutional conventions for the timing being which protect the confidentiality of advice tendered by Ministers of the Crown and officials [section 9(2)(f)(iv)]
- maintain the effective conduct of public affairs through the free and frank expression of opinions by or between or to Ministers of the Crown or members of an organisation or officers and employees of any department or organisation in the course of their duty [section 9(2)(g)(i)]
© Crown Copyright
This copyright work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 New Zealand licence. In essence, you are free to copy, distribute and adapt the work, as long as you attribute the work to the Ministry of Defence and abide by the other licence terms.
To view a copy of this licence, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/nz/. Please note that no Ministry of Defence or New Zealand Government emblem, logo or Coat of Arms may be used in any way which infringes any provision of the Flags, Emblems, and Names Protection Act 1981 or would infringe such provision if the relevant use occurred within New Zealand. Attribution to the Ministry of Defence should be in written form and not by reproduction of any such emblem, logo or Coat of Arms.