New Zealand Defence Force Support to Afghanistan for Evacuation Operations
This publication provides documents on Cabinet’s August 2021 decisions for the NZDF to assist international efforts to extract nationals and approved Afghan citizens.
The document contains the following files.
- note to Ministers: New Zealand Government Approach to Requests for Resettlement Assistance from Afghan Nationals 6 August 2021
- Aide Memoire: Possible Request for New Zealand Assistance with Afghanistan Non-Combatant Evacuation Operations 13 August 2021
- Cabinet minute: Additional Item: Possible Request for the New Zealand Defence Force to Provide Support in Afghanistan for Evacuation Operations [CAB-21-MIN-0323] 16 August 2021
- Cabinet minute: Oral Item: Afghanistan [CMG-21-MIN-0001] 16 August 2021
- Aide Memoire: Defence Options for New Zealand Assistance with Afghanistan Non-Combatant Evacuations 16 August 2021
- Ministerial submission: New Zealand Defence Force Deployment to Support Non-Combatant Evacuation Operations in Afghanistan 18 August 2021
- Aide Memoire: Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade Assisted Departures and Legal Criteria Submissions 24 August 2021
- Ministerial submission: Transition of New Zealand Defence Force Non-Combatant Evacuation Operations From Afghanistan (Operation KŌKAKO) 30 August 2021
- Briefing for the Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade Select Committee hearing on the briefing on the Governments response to recent events in Afghanistan 31 August 2021
Certain information is withheld, where the making available of the information would be likely to prejudice:
the security or defence of New Zealand or the international relations of the Government of New Zealand [section 6(a)]
the entrusting of information to the Government of New Zealand on the basis of confidence by the Government of any other country [section 6(b)(i)]
the entrusting of information to the Government of New Zealand on the basis of confidence by any international organisation [section 6(b)(ii)].
In addition, certain information has been withheld in order to:
protect the privacy of natural persons, including that of deceased natural persons [s9(2)(a)]
maintain the effective conduct of public affairs through the free and frank expression of opinions by or between or to Ministers of the Crown or members of an organisation or officers and employees of any department or organisation in the course of their duty [section 9(2)(g)(i)].
maintain legal professional privilege [section 9(2)(h)].
Where information is withheld pursuant to section 9(2), it is not considered that the public interest in this information outweighs the need to protect it.
Information about making an Official Information Act request to the Ministry of Defence is available from this page.
© Crown Copyright
This copyright work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 New Zealand licence. In essence, you are free to copy, distribute and adapt the work, as long as you attribute the work to the Ministry of Defence and abide by the other licence terms.
To view a copy of this licence, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/nz/. Please note that no Ministry of Defence or New Zealand Government emblem, logo or Coat of Arms may be used in any way which infringes any provision of the Flags, Emblems, and Names Protection Act 1981 or would infringe such provision if the relevant use occurred within New Zealand. Attribution to the Ministry of Defence should be in written form and not by reproduction of any such emblem, logo or Coat of Arms.